The aim of the EMAS Easy MOVE-IT! project was to develop and test an eco-innovative software-based support mechanism (a collective coaching and learning model) that helps to drive small and medium size enterprises (SMEs) in the tourism sector towards lean and cost-effective EU EMAS and Ecolabel applications. EMAS Easy MOVE-IT! applies the EMAS cluster certification to regional tourist products or services. It clusters SMEs of a region which are all part of a value chain of tourism and form a competitive tourism service package, linking cultural, economic, ecological and social aspects with their respective added value.
The MOVE-IT! approach was tested in various types of destinations and clusters in 5 EU member states: Belgium, Germany, Bulgaria, Cyprus and Estonia.
Various collaborative efforts with regional certifications, labels or awards have been made, like the UNESCO BIOSPHERE regions, the PAN Parks recognition and the EDEN (European Destination of Excellence).
Main outcomes of the project:
- 15 clusters coached in 5 countries (Belgium, Germany Bulgaria, Cyprus and Estonia) including 144 companies out of which 110 were certified, labelled or recognized by the end of project (June 2012).
- Vocational training provided for regional development agents and consultants (altogether 55 agents trained).
- An online platform for communication, e-learning and coaching at European level (in 6 languages), cluster level and internal level of SMEs
- Cluster management guide – how to make a tourist destination excellent in terms of environmental performance, competences and local governance of the destination identity, has been developed.
- Web-based supporting tool AVANTI Green Software that facilitates the introduction of integrated management system.
This project was co-funded by the Eco-Innovation Initiative within the European Union Competitiveness and Innovation Framework Programme (CIP)